Sunday, October 6, 2013

I'm Sorry You Did Not Get the Memo

Submitted by: St. Hooch


                                                                 Photo By: Walt Disney Company

In 1998 Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom opened in 1998 at Walt Disney World. After working some of the kinks out over the first few months I experienced a guest situation not quite like anything I had ever experienced before. It was slow, quiet, hot and humid in the Guest Relations lobby towards the front of the park. That was until a lady and her child came in with a complaint for the ages.

Guest: We are late to eat at China at Epcot and you need to change our time. Its not our fault.

Me: I'm sorry ma'am. I will be glad to do that for you. If I may ask...is everything ok?

Guest: No. We were stuck on the safari ride which made us late and there is no way we will make it to Epcot in time to eat.

I excuse myself briefly to get the facts and see if there was a problem with the attraction or if it was "101." After confirming with operations, the Kilimanjaro Safaris was up and running with no delays.

Me: Ma'am what exactly happened on the safaris that delayed your departure to Epcot?

Guest: Well, the truck stopped because a giraffe was in the road and he would not go around it. We were told the ride was only 30 minutes long.

Me: Yes ma'am I understand. The Kilimanjaro Safaris is estimated to last an estimated 30 to 45 minutes.

Guest: How long is the Dinosaur ride?

Me: The ride portion of Countdown to Extinction is right over three minutes. Three minutes and five seconds I believe...I can get you the exact time if you would like.

Guest: (with slight sarcastic laughter) So you can tell me exactly how long the Dinosaur ride is but there is no way you can tell me exactly how long the safari is? That is ridiculous!!

Me: No ma'am I cannot give you an exact time for the Safaris.

Guest: Why not? Why can't you tell me how long it takes? How am I supposed to plan if you people cannot give me exact times?

Me: Well, the difference is that we do not always know what the animals are going to do. Sometimes they will sit or eat in the middle of the road and for the most part we let them do their thing.

Guest: So I still do not understand how you can give me the exact time for the Dinosaur ride and not the safari.

Me: Well, the dinosaurs do not walk in front of the ride vehicles and block the road like the giraffes and other animals do on occasion.

Guest: What do you mean?

Me: The dinosaurs are not live animals. They are not real.

Guest: What do you mean "not real?"

Me: Will a 2:00pm priority seating work for you at Nine Dragons today at Epcot?





If you are a current or ex-Disney Cast Member and have a story or experience to share, please e-mail us at DisneyCastBlast@gmail.com. All emails will be posted ANONYMOUSLY or by a nickname if you prefer.

5 comments:

  1. Does "101" mean the ride is down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "101" is Disney speak meaning the ride is down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do not edit posts however do you think it would be a good idea for us to offer a basic Cast Member Speak Dictionary for non-Cast Members?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing is, even if you are late restaurants at WDW will usually accommodate you ,, so they probably just could have just .went there and would have been less late than this extra stop made them, but I can see wanting to not make the trip over there until they were sure they would be taken too, especially since they would not have known that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "What do you mean NOT REAL"

    Hil-arious. Also, very properly handled lol. I couldn't have done it any better.

    A basic CM lingo dictionary would be great for a site like this, I feel. It's not that hard to do the math, but it'd just make following much easier for everyone.

    ReplyDelete