Saturday, October 5, 2013

Animal Abuse? or Abuse by Animal?

Submitted by: St.Hooch
 
During the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom in 1998, Guest Relations Cast Members were stationed throughout the "Oasis" to assist guests and to answer questions they had about the park or animals in general. One of the concepts of the park was to not have any signage so guests would get "lost" in their adventure. This proved to be problematic and until more signage was installed Guest Relations Cast Members were there to help.
 
One day I was stationed in the middle of the "Oasis." It was pretty slow that morning and a lady came up to me and immediately started complaining to me.
 
Guest: This place is ridiculous. I don't see how you people get away with this.
 
Me: Hello how are you? I'm sorry what do you mean?
 
Guest: Well this place is supposed to be all about the environment and caring for animals and then you don't even give them the proper areas to live in.
 
Me: Well, we believe in creating environments for the animals that closely resemble their natural habitats. I assure you... (she interrupts)
 
Guest: You are trying to tell me that this area is sufficient for this animal? (She points to the enclosure behind me where we were standing.)
 
Me: Yes ma'am. The rocks are even temperature controlled so when it is too cold the rocks are heated... (she interrupts again)
 
Guest: NO! THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE! You are telling me that this is enough room for an rhinoceros? Are you stupid? How can you do allow this to happen? I am going to report you to as many animal activist groups I can find you can bet on that! There is no way in hell a rhinoceros will fit in this area!!! You should be arrested for what you are allowing in this zoo.
 
Me: Ma'am...you are correct that this area is way too small for a rhinoceros....but.....(as I point to the sign)....it is actually for a rhinoceros iguana. They only grow to about five feet long on average.
 
Guest: (She looked at me with this horrific blank stare and stormed off in disgust.)


                                                                     Photo By: Brian Martsolf

 
Photo By: Unknown
 
 
If you are a current or ex-Disney Cast Member and have a story or experience to share, please e-mail us at DisneyCastBlast@gmail.com. All emails will be posted ANONYMOUSLY or by a nickname if you prefer.

5 comments:

  1. Great Story, and cool to see my photo of the sign here, awesome! always feel free to use mine. i'd prefer that you would have used it so they could have clicked through to the original on flickr, but either way is fine really, I'm just glad you were nice enough to give me the credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem Brian. Glad you enjoyed the submitted story. The picture now is clickable to your Flickr page. Thanks for reading and remember to "like" us on Facebook.

      -DisneyCastBlast

      Delete
  2. My wife and I were at Wild Arctic at Sea World watching the Beluga Whales when a teenage girl walked up, looked at the whales swim around for a minute, then asked my wife, "are those the polar bears?"

    "No. those are whales."

    I couldn't resist telling the story to a nearby Seaworld CM expecting a laugh. She didnt even crack a smile and said "I get that question 3 or 4 times a day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the most beautiful part of this story is the Ghandi quote on the sign.

    ReplyDelete